CIAL Home  

Back to archive index

Cable Ships

Photographs from George White's collection.

Ship "Cable Restorer"
Ship "John W Mackay"
Ships "John W Mackay" and "Mercury"
Ships "Cable Restorer" and "John W Mackay"
C&W Cableship CS 'ELECTRA' at Csatries, St Lucia, her base in West Indies. 1956
Irmgard Pleuger.
This was built as a cargo ship for the Pleuger Company and converted to a cable ship in 1952 - which must therefore be when these pictures were taken. Used for cable laying between June 1952 and July 1953. This information from Cableships and Submarine Cables by K R Haigh. It is not stated there that CCC chartered and used the ship but that must be the case.

"Fitting out the ship"

"Picking up the cable"

"Paying out the final splice"
CIAL Home  

Back to archive index