Cable beacon
'cage'
has vanished

  High winds are believed to have
been the cause of the disappearance
of the metal cage on top of the Cable
Beacon which stands over a mile
out from Weston-super-Mare sea
front.
 
The beacon used to be maintained
from the offices of the Commercial
Cable Company in Richmond Street,
but the offices there closed in 1962.
  The laying of the first cables in
Weston Bay took place in 1885 and
the beacon was erected as a naviga-
tional aid to cable repair ships need-
ing to locate the trans-Atlantic
cables.
  Some ten years ago, the metal
'age was replaced with a new one.
The beacon itself is marked on
shipping charts.

Weston Mercury & Somerset Herald, November 3, 1967,

CIAL Home  

Cuttings index

Back to archive index